Always make sure the appliance has been turned off and is COOL before doing any of the activities required to install the Quiet DC Ventilation Fan and 12 Volt DC adapter. Do not use the adapter with a dimmer switch or rheostat controlled outlet as it will be damaged and the fan will not run.
Our thermostat switch is a popular optional accessory (QFF-120-TS). If you do not want to manually engage the fan by wall switch, or if your fireplace outlet doesn’t have a wall switch, the thermostat switch will turn the fan on as the firebox heats up.
The QFF-120-TS thermostat cable is used between the adapter output and the fan power input to provide automatic operation as the firebox heats up. Install the cable as shown in the picture so the adapter output jack is plugged into the receptacle end of the cable and the plug end of the cable is plugged into the fan jack.
Install the fan as in the instructions above and position the magnet and thermostat six to eight inches from the FRONT of the bottom of the firebox. Let it attach itself to the underside of the firebox metal. Make sure it is not on a label or insulating surface, or directly under the pilot light assembly if your fireplace has one. If it takes a longer time than one hour to turn off after the fire has been turned off, move it further forward several inches towards the front of the firebox to expose it to cooler ambient air. (Note: The image shows the thermostat cable near the back above the fan for illustration purposes, it actually should 6 to 8 inches from the front of the firebox.)
Route the cable from the magnet/thermostat so that it does not touch the bottom of the firebox. It will take 5-15 minutes for the thermostat to close after the fire is lit. When the fire is turned off, the fan will continue to run until the firebox has cooled down which can take up to an hour. The Quiet Fireplace Fan extracts much of the heat stored in the firebox assembly and propels it into the living space.
These fans are designed to work in DIRECT VENT GAS FIREPLACES and are NOT appropriate for use with ventless fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces and stoves due to their higher operating temperatures.